Thursday, December 13, 2012

Hope!

Of all the words in the English Language right now HOPE could possibly be the scariest one for me. Eric does in fact have a job interview. I know that it takes a lot more than just one interview. I know that this probably does not mean anything. I know that a couple of thousand dollars will most likely be wasted on flights and hotel rooms in Boston for the Modern Language Association Convention where this and any other interviews will take place. Without an interview we have been living in a state of fear of what to do next but knowing that a change in venue will need to happen. We have been mentally preparing for what to do next and looking into our options. Now with this small tiny mount of hope it puts our life back into stagnation of the waiting. WAITING. Waiting for more interviews, Waiting for Second interviews, Waiting for Fly Backs, Waiting for and official offer. My poor hubby has had all of these and more in the past and the waiting is dreadful. Every time the phone rings we jump in Hope. Every time there is an Unusual email, or snail mail from a school we get Hope. Ultimately we always get let down. The soul can only take so much of this. Now we have this dreaded Hope that maybe this could be it. How much more is it going to hurt in the long run if this is not the Magic Place we have been waiting for. I know my last post was on this topic but since I am now getting multiple phone calls and emails a day asking if he has any interviews yet (I know this is all done in love) I felt that another post was justified. Here are things you should never say to someone like me.

*Have faith and it will all work out. While I believe this what most people don't grasp is that most of the time it does not work out the way we hoped, planned, dreamed, expected.
*As long as you work hard you will always do well and succeed. Really People Really. That is not how the world always works. Example. Look at Paris Hilton, and the Kardashians. Why do I or any of you even know who they are. They did not get there money from hard work.
*Don't let it get you down. What else am I suppose to do. I am human and grief is an essential part of recovering from tragedy. Yes at this point in my life I equate my husbands job search with tragedy.
*God will bless you if you believe. I have been told this from people of all faiths. I love god and truly believe in him. I do not believe he loves me more than the many jobless families all over the world or the children being sold into prostitution, or to produce our chocolate. Bad things happen. That is the plan God set out for us. Without pain we can't truly know joy. So many of the bad things in this world are done by the evils of man. Not by God. He gave us our free agency and unfortunately that agency often affects others in a negative way. If we as a people all treated others with respect, paid our employees fair wages, and were just generally honest most of the worlds problems would vanish.

I will try to do a more positive post soon. Maybe one involving our Elf on a Shelf Cheeky!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! And amen sister on the list of things people shouldn't say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A second interview was scheduled today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, do we ever know how that feels. I hope this is your year. And yes, there have been a few times I've had a hard time not socking someone when they came up with some fun comment like, has your husband ever thought of getting a permanent job instead of adjuncting?

    Also, who needs Vegas when you can spin the MLA wheel every year??

    Seriously, I hope Boston (and following) is good to you guys. And if it isn't, that something better works out.

    Rose Green (Jonathan's wife--also in the same situation)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose, Verlene and I always bond every year about our situations being so similar. Good luck to you this year as well.

    ReplyDelete