Sunday, February 13, 2011

Harry Potter!

Today I am grateful for the Harry Potter Series. JK Rowling really hit it on the nail here. Both Chandler and Dylan at about the same age really hated reading. They felt like they were too slow and could not read as well as there class mates. Reading was a battle every day. One day Chandler picked up the Harry Potter Series and didn't stop reading until he was done. It took him about 6 months to read the entire series which for his age and considering I don't think he had finished a book before then was amazing. Our life was turned into Harry Potter World. Every where I turned there were Magic Wands, Cloaks,Brooms  and Books of Spells. These things were all hand made by my children with help from me and we had a great time. Just before Christmas this year I felt like we were repeating the same problems we had had with Chandler with Dylan. One day Dylan came in and said I am half way through the first Harry Potter book. I was amazed. He now only has 1 1/2 books left and it is only February. The relief that these books has brought to me as a mother in indescribable. Getting my kids to read every day is no longer a screaming match. Chandler has enjoyed reading ever since and reads more books than I would have ever dreamed. These books have given both of my boys the confidence to tackle reading in the future. Oh Yea, I have read these books as well, long before my boys did and I loved them. If you have not read them I feel you should. PLEASE never try to compare Twilight to Harry Potter. I will go off on a real tangent if you do. (twilight was an entertaining read but not even in the same category)
This is a cloak of Chandlers Design. Notice the hidden pockets to hold wands and other magical tools.


This is the Cloak Dylan designed. From the front it in no way resembles a KKK cloak.

1 comment:

  1. If you ever do get into a Twilight/Harry Potter debate, call me on your cell phone & I'll back you up.

    ReplyDelete