Monday, February 28, 2011

So Many Things!

Today's post has many Gratitude's in it. I feel I must give you some insights into my life currently. I have been a student wife for over a decade. We have 3 children and just as my wonderful husband started to enter the job market everything crashed. As a result after 4 years now of trying to find a permanent position it still has not happened. We have miraculously still been able to survive without moving in with any of our parents (barely but still), About 5 years ago I started having a sense of I won't be here for very long so I made peace with leaving the beach, friends, the only home my children have ever known, etc. I stopped trying to make new friends because I knew I would be leaving soon. Almost 5 years after this I have to say that it really and truly sucks to have been left by almost all of the friends I did have at that time. When we first moved here I hated watching my friends move one by one but a good friend promised that one day it will be our turn to move on, buy a house, be able to afford all our bills etc. I am so completely tired of still being here. Don't get me wrong in those 5 years I have made some wonderful new friends and retained some lifelong friends that I know I will never loose. I am grateful for those I just am ready to move on to the next phase in my life. What I am afraid of right now is that the next phase is not going to happen. We may not get a fantastic job. We may live barely scrapping by for the rest of our lives. I am slowly coming to terms with that. Ok enough complaints this is suppose to be a gratitude blog. I am Grateful for Playgroup, Old friends who come to visit, Friends that are moving on, friends who are still here. There was a particular playgroup last summer that had all of this at once. It was Katie Erbs last playgroup with us (as well as Jolie, Leah & Cal), I had an old friend Carol visiting us, Many friends who will be around for awhile and as I look at the pictures two other family that have moved since then, the Fleming's, and the Day's. I makes me want to cry thinking about this. I am grateful for the time I have had with all of these friends. They have all meant different things to me at different times but definitely worth the heartbreak of watching them move on with their lives. I am grateful for the many, many days I had the privilege of attending playgroup. This year all my kids are in school and I miss it terribly. Whenever someone asks me to babysit I tell them I can if it is on Tuesday so I can take the kids to playgrooup.
Thank you to all who listened to my many rants, I know there were more than my fare share. Thank you for sharing recipes, parenting ideas, craft ideas and for letting me be your friend. Thank you for not being too offended when I discussed personal matters like circumcision,  vasectomy's, birth control, and many things not appropriate to mention on a public blog.


4 comments:

  1. This kind of made me teary. I went to a playgroup today for my new ward and it was... organized. Boo! Boo! They had this calendar and asked if I wanted to sign up. You have to bring a snack and then plan a 30 minute activity. Wha??? I go to playgroup for me, not my kids, helloooo. So I just said that I am not really reliable because of my work schedule. I guess that actually can come in handy sometimes....

    I miss Goleta mucho. And you. And playgroup.

    Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need to warn me Jo, when you post something that requires a Kleenex. Sniff. Of all the things I miss about Santa Barbara, playgroup is at the top of the list. The gals here are lovely, but I just can't whine and complain and discuss reproductive cycles like I used to. Just between the two of us, I actually came home from one particular playgroup here, burst into tears, and said to Jack, "I miss Jo!!"

    I'm thinking of & praying for you guys as you figure out your plans for next year, and am holding out hope that an opportunity presents itself. If you want to get rich quick though, you can always sue me - I want to print out these adorable playgroup scrapbook pages & that probably qualifies as copyright infringement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    There is a way for me to share the pages with you and they will work in your storybook program Let me know if you want to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love playgroup too!! I am so sad that I missed Katie's last day. It's not the same without you though.

    ReplyDelete